US or Canada
We’re looking for an experienced backend software engineer to join the GitHub Actions team. The GitHub Actions Platform team is responsible for the platform and the infrastructure that powers the Actions experience on GitHub. As a team we are building the future of code automation enabling our customers to innovate and collaborate on both their continuous integration / deployment scenarios as well as software development workflows. We are not only committed to delivering the best experience possible, but are committed to do that at a high scale. You can learn more about GitHub Actions here: https://github.com/features/actions.
In this role, you will be having the opportunity to work as an engineer with a distributed, diverse and passionate team delivering the platform and the infrastructure that millions of developers depend on. In this role also you will design, implement, rollout and support a highly performant, highly scalable and highly available infrastructure with your team and production managers.
- You will write, review and maintain code primarily in C#, dotnet core, Go or Ruby.
- You will collaborate closely with Product and Design teams to build new features
- You will evaluate and recommend solutions, and guide team decision making
- You will document the systems you help build
- You will coordinate with engineering and product leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet business objectives
- You will mentor, pair, and delegate work to encourage the professional and technical growth of those around you
- You will work with support to triage and debug technical support requests
- You will support a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis
- 5 or more years of experience developing production software using C/C++, C#, dotnet core, Ruby, Go or equivalent language
- Strong object-oriented design skills gained from at least 2 years of working with OOP languages and patterns
- Solid understanding of testing principles and high quality software
- Demonstrated design skills for large scale and highly available cloud services or distributed systems
- Familiarity with DevOps best practices such as understanding of continuous integration & deployment as well as the ability to gather, analyze, debug and fix problems that occur with live production systems
- Experience with SQL, general database knowledge.
- Understanding of production system monitoring & observability is necessary.
- Troubleshooting skills across network, application, caching, queuing, load-balancing, storage and distributed services layers.
- Excellent analytical skills as well as communication skills both verbal and written. We’re a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication.
- At least 1 year of remote work experience on a software team
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.