GitHub is building the top Legal team on the planet and is looking for a superstar transactional attorney to join its ranks. GitHub is the gateway for software development. Our impact and customers are global, and so is our vision. We’re looking for someone who will materially advance our business and culture.
Your role will be to support our Sales team on a wide variety of agreements as they ship GitHub to millions of customers around the globe as well as to build and manage processes and procedures commensurate with growing volume and scale.
- Licensed to practice law in the US or in EMEA
- 10+ years as a transactional attorney with experience on commercial paper of all types
- A wonkish interest in transactional work and technology law of all sorts
- Excellent grasp of on-prem and SaaS transactions, from macro-structural issues and mechanics to accounting nuances
- Excellent negotiation skills including first-hand experience of leading negotiations with parties across multiple jurisdictions
- An empathetic approach to the practice and a spirit of collaboration
- Ability to perform as part of a diverse team
- Flexible, personable, and enjoys a dynamic corporate culture
- Excellent organizational skills, including attention to detail and ability to define specific action plans based on general guidance and deliver results
- Strong intellectual capacity, judgment, and personal standards of excellence
- Understand how to translate business needs into contract language, including creativity in finding solutions to help resolve business issues
- A joy and passion for the craft of writing
- An interest in open source software and licensing nuances
- Software engineering skills aren’t required, but a basic understanding of software coding is a definite plus. The GitHub legal team has technical acumen, and a capacity to quickly learn new business and technology concepts
- Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States
- Tailored cover letter and résumé are required for application to be reviewed
GitHub is revolutionizing the way that software is developed. It’s been named TechCrunch’s Best Boot-Strapped Startup (2009), TechCrunch’s Best Overall Startup (2012), one of Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies (2013), one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies (2013), a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer (2014), and one of MIT’s 50 Smartest Companies in the World (2014). We’re a private, growing business based in San Francisco, but increasingly expanding throughout Europe and Asia.
GitHub Legal operates on the cutting edge of legal practice. Like the rest of the software world, our team uses GitHub to work more collaboratively, transparently, and efficiently. We believe strongly in working together and from first principles, questioning tradition and basic industry assumptions, and in retaking and reforming our profession while delivering the highest quality of work product and counsel to our client. We value diversity of thought and experience, deep intellectual engagement with your subject matter, innovation, social awareness, and high emotional intelligence. Everyone at GitHub should view it as a career-defining opportunity.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.