The Observability team is in charge of developing solutions that focus on application developers and engineers that run infrastructure and services supporting these applications. Elasticsearch is an efficient datastore for logs, metrics, and application traces, supporting the three pillars of observability. The Observability team builds and maintains solutions that make getting insights from this data turnkey and efficient, such as our APM, Infrastructure Monitoring, Logs, and Uptime solutions. When developing these solutions, we think about the problem end-to-end: how do we automatically collect data from common data sources, how do we store it efficiently in Elasticsearch, how do we present this information to the user, what actions do we take on the insights from the data? All of these aspects are important in bringing a turnkey solution to the market.
As the Tech Lead for Elastic Agent in Observability you will be focusing on the data shippers used to collect and ingest events. This team drives the foundations of the platform, Elastic Beats, the data outputs the main inputs and the framework needed to develop new inputs, which make it possible to integrate Elastic Agent with an ever-growing set of data sources. The goal of this team is to build high quality, high performance, low overhead and easy to solution to collect data which is the core of Elastic Agent. You will lead by example and should participate in coding, debugging complex failure scenarios, and triaging bugs. You’ll analyze the current system, it’s strengths and limitations. You will participate in roadmap and project planning efforts and will have ownership for delivering it. You’ll be participating in project management efforts as the teams execute on plans together with the Team Lead and Product Manager.
The team is diverse and distributed across the world, and collaborates daily over GitHub, Zoom, and Slack.
We believe that engineering complex, pluggable software for the web that is built to last the test of time is both tricky and exciting. Doing so requires a team of diverse individuals, with sharp minds and the ability to empathize with our users, working together with mutual respect and a common mission.
We care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you’re working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible throughout our organization. At Elastic, hierarchy does not determine how decisions get made. We feel that anyone needs to be in the position to comment on anything, regardless of their role within the company.
What you will be working on
- Provide Technical Leadership for the Elastic Agent Team
- Work with the Team to develop and evolve the data plane architecture and features in Elastic Agent.
- Be a contact point for other teams within Elastic. Examples include helping Support with difficult cases or aligning with the teams developing integrations on the best ways to extend the platform or consulting the Elastic Stack engineers with designing new features
- Be hands-on with the codebase. Review work done in the team, and provide constructive feedback
- Help the team define coding practices and standards
- Collaborate with other teams including product design, agent engineers and Kibana
What you will bring along
- Experience creating system level software and back-end services on Unix and Windows
- Ability to work in a distributed team throughout the world
- Experience developing and reviewing complex technical requirements, and translating them into actionable tasks for engineers
- Experience driving end-to-end architectural discussions across teams and organizations
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to drive conversations across multiple teams to a conclusion
- Previous experience providing technical leadership for a team of senior engineers
- Previous experience in an ownership role for technical direction and strategy
- Previous experience working with stakeholders outside of Engineering
- You know and care about writing performant software and have traced and fixed performance issues yourself
- Strong Go programming skills
- Experience writing automated tests
- Ability to work in a fast paced start-up environment
- Strong preference for Open Source experience
Bonus points for
- Exposure to Observability, Performance or Availability tools or services
- Hands-on experience with Docker and Kubernetes
To apply for this job please visit jobs.elastic.co.