We’re seeking a hands-on, sharp and experienced Employment Counsel to join our legal team to provide practical and clear legal advice on a broad range of personnel-related topics and ensure Zapier’s compliance with labor laws in line with Zapier’s business goals and company values. You will be a member of our legal team and will work closely with our internal clients including People Ops, Recruiting, Compensation, DIBE and business stakeholders. We are looking for a thoughtful, creative and collaborative individual, who will thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and intellectually challenging work environment. This position provides a great opportunity to practice employment law in a fully remote company in alignment with Zapeir’s core values and business goals, with a focus on supporting our people to do their best work.
You have excellent knowledge of U.S. federal and state employment laws. You have in-depth working knowledge and experience with advising multi-state and multi-country employer(s) on various personnel related legal issues and the relevant laws and regulations at local, state and federal level. You are comfortable with assessing risk and proposing solutions that balance risk with business goals.
You love the challenges and opportunities of being the first in-house employment lawyer for a fully remote company. You have intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for the challenges of serving a fully remote company with personnel in many locations around the world. You are a creative thinker who is comfortable with change and ambiguity. You are able to build scalable personnel-related policies and processes that are compliant and meet business goals, while ensuring they align with Zapier’s core values.
You exercise good judgement and business sense. You have the ability to handle sensitive/confidential information requiring a high level of discretion, respect, and integrity. You are able to discern matters that require privacy and confidentiality, and matters that benefit from broader input and collaboration.
You are self-aware and have a high EQ. You have a positive attitude with a solution oriented mindset. You work effectively across teams and have strong listening and interpersonal skills.
You’re solid at time management. You are experienced at working independently and have a proven track record of being able to prioritize and manage multiple matters simultaneously in a fast-paced, dynamic, and highly engaged environment. You also recognize when to ask for help or escalate issues.
You’re a skilled communicator. You can take legalease and make it easy to read for a diverse workforce spanning the globe. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication.
Qualifications & Experience
- Juris Doctor degree
- Admitted to practice and in good standing with one or more state bar in the US
- 6+ years of combined law firm and in-house experience at a technology company with 4+ years of employment law experience
- Prior in-house or law firm experience advising multi-state employers
- Prior in-house experience advising employer(s) that support permanent remote work and a global workforce is a plus
Things You’ll Do
- Provide legal and strategic advice on a broad range of personnel related matters including recruiting, onboarding, performance management, leaves of absence and accommodations, wage and hour law, anti-discrimination and retaliation, pay equity, personnel mobility and other related legal issues.
- Collaborate with the relevant internal teams to lead the development, preparation and training on personnel-related policies, documents, and contracts.
- Manage personnel-related investigations and disputes, including demand letters and litigations.
- Contribute to training regarding legal aspects of personnel and manager best practices.
- Monitor labor law developments globally in locations where Zapier has personnel, and work with local outside counsel as needed for expertise. Advise the business on these developments with practical solutions.
- Collaborate effectively with the Legal team, the Operations team and our internal stakeholders across Zapier to help resolve personnel issues.
- Liaise with local in-country counsel for advice as needed.
- Advocate for finding the “right” solution, which is one that is compliant and meets business goals, while ensuring we remain committed to Zapier’s core values and our people.
To apply for this job please visit zapier.com.