We’re looking for a Decision Scientist to join the Decision Science team at Zapier and have several roles open for 2021 hiring across a variety of stakeholder-focused teams.
Decision Science & Analytics is responsible for driving data insights, experimentation and quantitative research at Zapier. As a team, we work across Product, Revenue & Growth, Marketing, Finance, Partnerships, Engineering and Support, proactively steering our business stakeholders to take data-informed decisions and deepening business understanding of opportunities and weaknesses.
Decision Scientists are semi-embedded into different business zones, developing tight-knit thought partnerships with key stakeholders. We’re hiring for a range of zones, so if you are a creative Decision Scientist interested in helping to grow a product that helps the world automate their work so they can get back to living, this may be the right challenge for you!
- You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You communicate complex technical topics clearly and in an approachable way.
- You’ve collaborated with business leaders across Growth, Revenue, Product, Marketing or Support, and have outstanding stakeholder management expertise. As a collaborative thought partner you’re gifted at explaining your findings clearly to a non-technical audience, and you’re comfortable with operating with a high degree of autonomy to proactively shape your roadmap.
- You’re experienced in defining and analysing large, complex datasets, finding actionable business solutions to loosely defined problems.
- You’re innovative, able to ideate and autonomously drive forward your own exploratory ideas for analysis and research, from discovery to impact generation.
- You’re technically competent with relevant analytics tools (e.g. Python or R), including at least one SQL dialect- they’re all about the same; we happen to use Redshift.
- You’re experienced in designing and analyzing rigorous experiments of varying degrees of complexity.
- You combine your strong business acumen with statistical competence (e.g. confidence intervals, regression modelling, significance testing).
- You have hands-on experience with common machine learning techniques (e.g. predictive modelling, time series modelling, classification and clustering techniques).
- You’re excited by helping your team and stakeholders develop their KPIs and self-serve dashboards. We believe in empowering our stakeholders to build their own dashboards and own their own first-order analysis.
- You care about the details, and understand that without high quality instrumentation, we suffer from Garbage In, Garbage Out.
- You’ve mastered at least one data visualization tool: we primarily use Looker.
- You enjoy collaboration and knowledge sharing. You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with teammates with any level of statistical knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
- You understand that perfect is the enemy of good. You will default to action by initially shipping solutions that simply work and work simply, while iterating as needed.
Things You Might Do:
Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, so you’ll get experience on many different projects to support our stakeholders. Here are some things you might get to help our teams with:
- Analyze user and partner behavior to find and explain novel drivers of key business outcomes, such as activation, engagement, upgrades and churn. Work with business teams to design, analyse and interpret experiments that help them to improve these metrics.
- Drive proactive analysis / research into high-potential green fields, including (but not limited to) defining data-driven customer segments and success signals to dynamically shape user onboarding; locating growth opportunities through attribution data; figuring out what makes some Zaps go viral; figuring out how to boost Support’s contribution to revenue generation.
- Ensure all teams have insight to data and can answer their own first-order questions. Develop data literacy programs and provide easy to use tools with clear documentation, examples and tutorials.
- Perform ETL tasks to model new dimensions and facts in our data warehouse’s dimensional model.
- Tools you’ll probably use include AWS Redshift, SQL, Looker, Matillion ETL, and Python or R.
- As a part of Zapier’s all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
To apply for this job please visit zapier.com.