This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, and security. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, the growing international software company behind Ubuntu.
We are hiring a Software Engineer to enhance the AppArmor Mandatory Access Control system. AppArmor is a core element of many Ubuntu and Canonical technologies from IoT up through Desktop and Server to Cloud and orchestrated containers. This position is an opportunity to improve the AppArmor user space tools and policy, as well as work on the Linux kernel and with the upstream kernel community.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated competence and maturity as a software engineer, and will collaborate within the diverse community of Canonical’s security and kernel teams, as well as the AppArmor and upstream Linux kernel communities to extend and enhance the security of the Ubuntu distribution.
What you’ll do
- Work with the AppArmor, Linux kernel, and security communities to develop AppArmor features
- Work with the Ubuntu Security and Kernel teams to integrate and land features into the Ubuntu distribution
- Triage and resolve issues raised by end users and commercial support customers
- Support technologies and communities leveraging AppArmor (e.g. libvirt, lxd, multipass, and snapd)
- Improve and extend existing testing infrastructure and automation
- Develop and extend AppArmor policy
- Evangelize AppArmor through documentation and participation in the Linux Security community
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You demonstrate an understanding of the definition of done
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have a strong and demonstrated grasp of Linux security technologies
- You are skilled in C, Python, and other programming languages
- You have experience with open source development tools and methodology (eg, git)
- You ideally have experience with: developing AppArmor, developing the Linux kernel and/or Mandatory Access Control (MAC) systems
To apply for this job please visit canonical.com.